Sunday, April 12, 2009

Seems like a fine TV at a decent price

Seems like a fine TV at a decent price, June 19, 2008
By CityBoy58 - See all my reviews tv

This is our first "big flat screen monster" and, while we are "Sony People" we were put off by their prices until these new models came out. The picture looks great, 1080 in particular of course. I have not noticed any of the not-quite-black issues others have talked about. The contrast is fine for me. I like the "piano black" much better than Sony's fancy glass models, and sony xbr9 costs less as well. If there is one and only one issue with the whole thing sony xbr9 is that the documentation seems skimpy; it's all about connecting the cables and not much technical detail about the TV. I already know how to hook sony xbr9 up... But if you're looking at a 40 inch this is a nice one. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? tv Report this Permalink
Comment (1)



36 of 41 people found the following review helpful:
Sony quality can't be beat, tv June 5, 2008
By A. Richtmyer "steeler" (Adamstown, MD USA) - See all my reviews


I had a 32" Sony LCD set that was very similar to this one. I would have initially gotten a 40" but my wife wanted to put sony xbr9 in a TV cabinet and the 40" was too big. After some shopping we couldn't find a cabinet that would fit in the desired location that would even hold the 32". At that point we found a buyer for the old set and bought this one. I mention that because there is one slight shortcoming with the new set, relative to the old one. With the old set I was able to hook my HD DVD player to the HDMI 1 input and then hook the optical audio output of the TV to my Sony surround sound system. The tv then passed the audio to the surround sound system, no matter whether the source was the internal TV tuner or the DVD player, connected to HDMI 1. With the new set, if I switch to HDMI 1, I get no sound from the a/v system. After conferring with a couple Sony tech representatives (whom I thought weren't very knowledgeable) we came to the conclusion that I would have to connect the DVD player through the surround sound a/v system and then into the tv. The a/v system has three HDMI connections as well, so this should be doable. However, sony xbr9 will take one more HDMI cable (I have a couple on order so I haven't verified this will work yet) and may be a little more cumbersome when sony xbr9 comes to switching between the TV tuner and the DVD player. But - presuming I get past this glitch, the picture is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment